THIS IS A BLOG ABOUT MY JOURNEY THROUGH MOTHERHOOD AND ALL ITS CRAZYNESS. WHO KNEW?



Sunday, December 21, 2008

the shoe patch

a friend of mine recently said that God made our children with our weaknesses in mind. i'm sure that's true in many ways, but one in particular stands out to me... maybe because it's an every-day occurrence here in our house.

i tend to be very absent-minded and distracted most of the time... especially when it comes to misplacing things. in particular, my keys. i can never, ever remember where i set my keys down. in fact, my entire adult life i've given myself a ten-minute-key-finding-time allowance as part of my daily routine. my son however is quite attentive to detail and always knows where everything is...everything. so naturally, i've learned to ask him as we're heading out the door where i put my keys, and he will either go get them, or tell me where they are. it's fantastic! so much better than one of those key chains that beep when you whistle.

among the many other things i misplace are my shoes... also at the top of that list. however, i've found that i usually kick them off under my desk or in front of the bookcase as i walk in. usually. this story has a point, i promise. so the other day, i'm searching for my shoes and i call on the services of my little finder.

me: "z, do you know where mommies shoes are?"

z: "no, did you check your shoe patch?"

and that is how my closet became known as the shoe patch.

4 comments:

kristen lewis said...

That is hilarious! I love it. Your little z is my kind of kid. I thrive on detail and everything being in its place, so as much as I love you, it is best that we don't live together! Now that little z- he and I may could work something out!!!

Jewels said...

HAHA - Thats awesome- he fully deserves that bike horn.

Anonymous said...

Love it!
Hey, I had the same problem with my keys, my purse, and my glasses. I finally nailed a peg to the wall next to the door leading to the garage. When I come in the house, my keys go in my purse and my purse goes on the peg. Oh, and my shoes go next to that same door. :-)
Hey, Brother told Santa that I need a pair of car keys for Christmas!

Merry Christmas to you and little Z man!!! Love and peace to you, my friend.

Steph said...

HAHA! I just read this to Grace and she said, "I know! Zack always has to find her stuff for her!" before I even finished reading it. :)

So funny.

You're such a good writer.